So I decided to wait until Friday night to start baking, so that the kids would be in bed and I would be able to get on with it in peace and quiet.
That didn't work. Megan and Michael were far too excited and wanted to watch the whole thing. They loved seeing the colours being mixed and were super excited, despite being half dead on their feet!
Having made up the batter, mixed up the colours and poured it all into a large baking dish, it all looked pretty promising.
But then I forgot that I was supposed to let it bake a bit longer, because I'd doubled the recipe in order to make a bigger cake. And being well past my bedtime and just utterly tragic, I couldn't face taking pictures of my brilliantly coloured cake with the collapsed centre. So I scooped out the goopy centre and chucked it and covered the useable parts and went to bed.
Woke up at sparrow's fart on Saturday morning to start baking again and decided to just make two separate cakes - one with the little boy's name on:
And one with the little girl's name on:
I reckon the decorating could have been better, but I also think it all turned out pretty well for a last minute job. The party started at 10:00 on Saturday morning, and I'd started baking at 7:00.
Once the two "proper" cakes were done, I decided to do something with the remains of the first cake, just for good measure and to make sure there was no shortage of cake at this party.
So I fashioned a snake-ish kind of thing out of what there was and proceeded to panic as it crumbled at the slightest touch. Icing it was interesting and resulted in a snake-ish shaped mix of cake crumbs and icing sugar, which I attempted to rescue by means of strategic placement of colourful jelly sweets:
Overall, I'd say the exercise was a success, considering how impressed everyone was when the cakes were cut and they were greeted with this: